It is becoming the new normal encountering other people who use voice assistants through a smart speaker, smartphone, or a PC.
With this new technology gaining more importance, the same importance applies to the number of languages a voice assistant can support. For example, Amazon Alexa languages support is causing them to have fewer users.
The language on your Amazon Echo is available in 8 different ones, and Amazon is working to add more.
What language does Alexa speak and what dialects?
As of today, Amazon Alexa languages you can use are 8 and a few different dialects. The last update belongs to the beginning of 2020 and till now Amazon has not notified to add any other language.
The list of the languages is:
- English. Dialects supported: UK, US, Australia, Canada, India.
- Spanish. Dialects supported: Spain, Mexico, US
- French. Dialects supported: Canada and France
- Portugues: Brazilian dialect only.
How to change the Alexa language on your Echo devices?
To change the language on your Amazon Echo, first, you will need to have the Alexa app on your smartphone. You can download and install it from the app store/play store.
Once you have installed and enabled the app, or you already have it, follow these steps to change Alexa language:
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone.
- On the main page open the menu “More” ☰.
- Now select “Settings”.
- Find and click ‘Device Settings’.
- Now you need to choose the device or group for which you need to change the language.
- Here you can select the language you want.
Alexa will need a few minutes to set up the new language and then you will be fine to use it. Consider that changing the language may limit Alexa’s capabilities, skills, music, and content, by making them unavailable.
Also, consider that every accessory connected to that specific Echo device and its responses will work only in the new language
Speaking in multiple languages
In case you want to use two different languages at the same time, you can enable what is called Multilingual Mode.
The first way to do it is to follow the steps above again, and when selecting the Language, choose an option with two different languages.
You can also use the voice commands by asking Alexa:
- “Speak Spanish.” to change the default language.
- “Speak English and Spanish.” to speak to Alexa in either language and Alexa will respond with the same language.
- “Stop speaking Spanish.” to switch back to the primary language.