For everyone using Amazon Alexa and Echo devices in their homes, offices, or their cars, “Alexa” is probably the name they mention mostly during the day. It happens because it is the Alexa wake word.
In this case, probably you have wondered: can you change Alexa’s name?
|What is Alexa?|
Alexa is a cloud-based voice service that allows users to interact with hundreds of millions of Amazon Echo devices and third-party manufacturers. Alexa is the voice service on your Echo devices that lets you control them hands-free and make stuff happen.
We can also say that Amazon’s Alexa is a voice-enabled virtual assistant. Even if it is only virtual, the number of things it can do through its skills is limitless.
However, saying the name “Alexa” tens of times a day can make it boring sometimes, or cause confusion when one of your family members has the same name. In this case, the best solution is to change Alexa wake word.
How to change the Alexa wake word
In case you want to change the wake word you use to invocate Alexa, you will have 3 other options available to choose from, which include Echo, Amazon, or Computer.
Change Alexa name from the smartphone app
What you have to do to change the waking word for your Echo device is what follows:
- Go to the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Select the menu button “More” and then “Settings”.
- Select the “Device Settings” and then select the device for which you want to change the wake word.
- Find the “Wake Word” option and click it.
- Now choose one of the other options (Echo, Amazon, or Computer).
Once you have done this the respective device will answer with the new waking command you have chosen.
But remember that it will work only for the selected device. If you want all of your devices to respond to the same word you need to do the same process for each one of them. It is highly recommended to use the same for each one of them to not create confusion.
Change the Alexa wake word from the Amazon Echo devices
If you want to change the wake word from one of the Echo devices you have at home, using your voice this is what to do:
- Go near one of your Echo devices and say: “Alexa, can you change your wake word?”.
- Once Alexa receives your request, it will guide you through the steps you need to take.
- Follow the instructions to complete the change.
Following one of the above-mentioned steps, you won’t have to wonder anymore how can you change Alexa’s name!