When you want to give away an Amazon Echo device, use it in another location, or just not use it anymore, you can find difficulties removing all the data and settings of that device. This is the case when you reset Amazon Echo devices.
The reset will bring the device to its factory setting and make it available to be enabled again or not interfere with other Echo devices. This is also the best solution when the Echo is presenting issues or you need to enable it from another Amazon account.
How to reset Amazon Echo devices?
The reset process differs depending on the model of the device. Be it an Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, or Echo Show, for each one you need to follow specific instructions to reset them to their Factory Settings.
How do you reset Amazon Echo?
If you want to reset an Amazon Echo (3rd & 4rth gen.) to its Factory Settings the steps you need to follow are:
- Press and hold the action button for 25 seconds.
- Then, the light ring turns orange, and then the device turns off completely.
- Wait till the device turns on again, and the light ring goes blue.
In the end, the light ring will go orange, and the device will be ready for setup.
Now you can unplug it or do the setup process from the beginning.
How to reset Echo Dot?
To reset Echo Dot devices the steps are nearly the same as the Echo:
- Press and hold the action button.
- Keep the button pressed for about 25 seconds till the light ring turns orange.
- Now the device has entered the setup mode.
How to reset Echo Show devices?
The reset of Echo Show devices, be it an Echo Show 5, 8, or 10 it’s the same:
- Press and hold the Mute and Volume Down buttons.
- Keep them pressed, until you see the Amazon logo (nearly 15 seconds).
- Once the reset is finished the device will show on-screen instructions.
- Now you can follow the on-screen instructions to set up your device.
How to deregister Echo devices you don’t use anymore?
In most cases, people deregister Echo devices when they don’t intend to use them anymore, or when they want to give them away.
To do the deregistration, you can follow two ways:
From the Alexa app:
- Go to the Alexa app on your smartphone.
- Select the option “Devices”.
- Here select the specific device you want to deregister.
- Now click “Deregister” in the options available.
From the Amazon account:
- Go to Manage Your Content and Devices.
- Log in with your Amazon account credentials.
- Click Devices and find the device you want to deregister.
- Select “Deregister”.